• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate Time Frame

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Marseee

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello, My question is, What is the time frame in Michigan to contest a will or file probate? My husband's brother held joint tenents on the mother-in-laws home. After her death in April 2002, by husband never recieve anything from her estate. We know there was a will, and nothing happened. My husband wants to contest the will. Please let me know any informtion. Thank you for your help.:)

Dandy Don

You need to consult with a local probate attorney about this, since it is highly unlikely that a Michigan attorney would be looking at this message board.

If you don't already have a copy of the will, check at the county courthouse probate court to see if the will has been filed yet, and get a copy of it. It is possible that the estate is currently being probated now and is probably still open.

The only reason that your husband would need to be contacted is if he was named as a beneficiary in the will.

You need to contact the executor (name and address will be in the probate file also) to ask him how the estate proceedings are going and ask whether your husband is going to be receiving anything from the estate. With the house being in joint tenancy, your husband's brother automatically becomes the owner now that the death has occurred.

You may be jumping the gun a little bit--it will probably take about 3-6 months for the estate to be probated and if your husband is supposed to be receiving anything, the executor will contact him and let him know.

DANDY DON

Dandy Don

You don't want to contest the will unless you find out that your husband will not be receiving anything from the estate and you must review the language of the will to make sure that you will not be penalized if you do decide to contest it.

What is the value of the estate?

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">