• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probating a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Joyce Bethune

My step mother died in May. The executor has a paper that my Dad needs to sign and have notarized before the will can be probated. Is this normal prodecure? I don't want my Dad to sign away any of his rights.

A

advisor10

JUNE 28, 2001

DEAR JOYCE:

Did that paper have a title? It would be kind of difficult for anyone reading this website to give advice if we can't see the language of the document.

Generally speaking, I can't think of any document that would need to be signed BEFORE a will is probated, since usually an original will that is valid can be submitted to the court as is.

I don't think there is much to worry about, but if your father has any doubts as to what he is signing, he should take the document to another attorney (usually the first meeting is a free consultation) to find out what the document really means before he agrees to sign it.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">