• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with Trustee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kithlyara

My husband and I live in California. My husband is the receipient of a trust that we're having some problems with.

Here's some background on how the trust was set up: A relative of his set up the trust before she passed away. When she passed away some other people started receiving the benefits of the trust. Included in the trust was the provision that when they all died, my husband would start receiving the benefits of the trust. The last of the people passed away this past January.

Here are the problems: My husband did not start receiving monthly checks from the trust until May. We have no idea where the other checks went. Also it stated in the trust that should all of the people pass away before my husband turned 25, then my husband's father would assume the role of trustee. My husband is 23, so his father is now the trustee. Well, the old trustee refuses to give us an accounting. We've asked for it mulitple times and the most we've received were bank statements from last year. This trust is 13yrs old. Our accountant needs the accounting very badly. What legal recourse do we have?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

K

Kithlyara

We've had the accountant contact the trustee already. The only thing we got out of that was last years statements. Can we get a court order to force him to hand over the accounting? What can we do if the old trustee didn't keep an accounting? Thanks for any help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">