• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property of deceased family members

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ccamp

south carolina--
whem my grandparents died they left the house in the name of their nine siblings to keep from choosing any one over the others. that was more than ten years ago. after i left the army i came back to the house. it is in desperate need of repair work. my aunt that lives here is the executor of the estate and has ran off the other two of her siblings that lived here. i want to fix up the house with my va loan money, but i don't want to do it and get thrown out like everybody else has. their are seven children still living in the family with most living abroad. is there anything that i can do? the lack of repair has made it impossible to get homeowners insurance. thank you for any time used on this matter. it is important to me that the house stays usable for the entire family.

ALawyer

I hate to say it, but despite their thoughtful and well intentioned efforts to please everyone, and keep the house as a place for the entire family, what your grandparents intended really does not work well in modern America, with family scattered all over the nation and world, and little time to be together.

Caring for and maintaining a place is difficult, and as it belongs to 9 of you, no one has a real motivation to do the work or take the expense on, and if 1 lived there, would that be fair to the other 8. And your grandparents' feelings for the property and maintaining the family place may just have been overly sentimental, if they did not leave money for its upkeep.

If your aunt still has a role, formal or otherwise, in the estate or with regard to the property, that's only an aggravating element.

I suggest that the 9 of you who share ownership get together and agree on what you want done. Sometimes the best thing to do is get it appraised at fair market value and sell it on the open market, or allow it to be bought, less commissions, by one of the 9 who wants it. That person would pay off the others and take out a mortgage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">