• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting family assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

familyman99

My wife is being placed in a nursing home for a short time due to health reasons. My insurance covers the nursing home, however, a neighbor told me that, his nursing home costs were only covered for a few months. After that, he was forced to use his life savings to keep his wife in the home.

My question is this.

I will be checking to be sure the insurance will cover a prolonged stay, and I have signed up for homesteading (more than 6 years ago), but how can I make sure that they can't take my house to pay for any future medical costs.

This nursing home stay may be for a short duration, but in the next years, the stays could be longer and I don't want to loose my home. Is it best to sell my home to my children? or is there something else I can do?

Also, what problems would this cause my children if I were to sell it to them? I know that they would have to pay the yearly taxes. but are there any additional concerns I should be aware of?

Thank you

As I understand it, in Ohio, a spouse can keep the house, car and
$87,000 and still go on Medicaid, if necessary. I, personally, don't think selling your home to a child would be in your best interest.
Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">