• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Q re Executor in Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheltonlw3

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

My wife had a bad experience as executrix of her parent's estate and wants to designate our bank/trust co as executor of her will to avoid me going through a similar situation. Everything we own is held jointly. My question is how much control over our accounts/finances will I have if my wife dies and the bank is now adminstering her estate? Would I have to go through them to even pay routine expenses since I'm not the one legally making the decisions on how to allocate my wife's estate? Personally, I'm willing to be executor if it will mean avoiding a loss of control of our finances until the will is probated.

Any advise you can provide will be appreciated.What is the name of your state?

tranquility

I hate corporate executors/trustees. There is no person who is responsible and who can be talked to and the bank will fight like crazy to keep things and control in their hands. Your fears are real. The only advantage of a corporate executor is continuity. They will probably be around no matter how long in the future they are needed. That's why many may make them an contingent executor/trustee.

Dandy Don

Is there a trusted member of the family with good financial savvy and common sense, or a trusted accountant that she could designate as trustee instead?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">