• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Qickclaim Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poorhouse

I'm in Rhode Island

I own a home with no morgage on it. I would like to do a qickclaim deed to put my home in the name of my daughter.

Do I need a lawyer to do this and if not how do I go about it.

I'm not in a medicaid situation or a saving my home situation, the home should have been in her name after her grandparents passed away as that is how they wanted it but did not have it in a will. I don't have a lot of money to spend on a lawyer but I just want to make sure I do this legally so that it will be solely her home as it was meant to be by her grandparents.

TYIA

TrustUser

hi,

the actual term is quitclaim deed. since you dont have the expertise yourself, it would be wise to hire someone who does. if you have an accountant familiar with real estate, he might be willing to help. i dont know if your local title company would help, but they certainly have the knowledge, if you dont want to use an attorney, who is apt to be the most expensive. but in any case, it is chump change compared to the worth of the house.

in my location, the county recorder is checking the deeds quite thoroughly to see if it has any major mistakes on it, which is a good thing.

the one thing you should have is the current deed to the house, as this will show who is the grantee (the owner). this exact description will now be the grantor on the new deed.

you might want to consider making a trust to keep the house in from the get-go, so that the grantee on the new house will be the trustee of the trust, which could be your daughter.

good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">