• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

QTIP-like trust for unmarried couple

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bob Weed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We've been together for 35 years, but never gotten married. What we would like to do is set up a trust that would provide the survivor with income from the deceased's estate, but then the separate estates are passed to the separate families at the second death. That sounds like a QTIP trust to me, but I'm unclear what is or isn't available to unmarried couples. Additionally, the house is in her name and she would like it to be set up so that I can remain in the house for as long as I live. Our estates are not large enough to be concerned with the marital deduction.

Can someone point me in the right direction to research this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We've been together for 35 years, but never gotten married. What we would like to do is set up a trust that would provide the survivor with income from the deceased's estate, but then the separate estates are passed to the separate families at the second death. That sounds like a QTIP trust to me, but I'm unclear what is or isn't available to unmarried couples. Additionally, the house is in her name and she would like it to be set up so that I can remain in the house for as long as I live. Our estates are not large enough to be concerned with the marital deduction.

Can someone point me in the right direction to research this?
Might I suggest that you head to the local wedding chapel? ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">