• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question 10 years after father's death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PJ249

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
My father died over 10 years ago at age 90. He was in a nursing home and had only his SS income and owned nothing. My brother handled his affairs as I was deployed overseas at the time and could only come back to the States for a few days. We were his only living relatives. While doing some online research, I discovered that my dad has a very small unclaimed account of less than $200 ( which includes over 10 years worth of interest) owed to him. I cannot find any letter of testamentary among the papers my brother had. My brother is now deceased and had never married or had any children.
I took the death certificate to the court house and asked about the Testamentary letter and they said it would cost $153. I thought the Testamentary letter was given at no cost or perhaps a small fee. I have the one we got for my Mom when she passed away 12 years ago. How do I get one for my Dad?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
My father died over 10 years ago at age 90. He was in a nursing home and had only his SS income and owned nothing. My brother handled his affairs as I was deployed overseas at the time and could only come back to the States for a few days. We were his only living relatives. While doing some online research, I discovered that my dad has a very small unclaimed account of less than $200 ( which includes over 10 years worth of interest) owed to him. I cannot find any letter of testamentary among the papers my brother had. My brother is now deceased and had never married or had any children.
I took the death certificate to the court house and asked about the Testamentary letter and they said it would cost $153. I thought the Testamentary letter was given at no cost or perhaps a small fee. I have the one we got for my Mom when she passed away 12 years ago. How do I get one for my Dad?

Pay the $153.

lockbox

There's your answer then.
With all repect to you in mind.My mother & father past.I don't have much at all to remember them by other then memories.
You need to ask your self how much is that money worth to you?That was your father's money.If someone was selling a past item of my father's I would buy it and pay three times for it if needed.There not gonna send you cash.Take the check and place it a frame to remember your father.Or cash the check and split it up between the grand children and say her kids from your grand father.I understand what your explaining,Should I pay $300 for a $200 check?Who would?But,what is it worth to you?If it was me I would do it.Take the money and buy a piece of gold with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">