• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Home Inheritance w/ Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vindicta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia, Fairfax County

Hello. My grandfather passed away in January of this year. I am his grandson, sole beneficiary, and appointed executor. I have already gone through the process of probate and qualification as executor.

The home that I live in, and that he lived in while alive, was willed to me through his Will. The home has gone through probate and probate tax. The deed for the home, of which I have a physical copy, lists the owners as both he and his deceased wife, my grandmother, who passed in 2001.

The home is entirely 'paid for'. It has no mortgage. I have been paying its property tax.

What is the best, simplest, and cheapest way to have the deed transferred over to me? I do not have any intention of selling the home any time soon. I simply want to ensure that I can continue living in the home and that it is 'my home', legally.

Thanks,
Mark

curb1

A quick call to the county courthouse should get your answer for what you need to show them. We use a Bargain and Sale deed, or a quitclaim deed.

seniorjudge

The order from the probate court distributing the real estate to you is your deed.

Record the original (or certified copy) in the land deed records.

Vindicta

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Seniorjudge, would I go to the county courthouse to record the original or certified copy in the land deed records?

seniorjudge

Q: Seniorjudge, would I go to the county courthouse to record the original or certified copy in the land deed records?

A: Yes.

FlyingRon

Bring all your probate records and the death certificates for both parties. The land records office is on the third floor of the county courthouse down in Fairfax City. They're not too bad at giving you information.

It will behoove you to have the TAX # (also sometimes called the map book page or single and double circle numbers). It will be on your tax bills if no where else. You can also look it up at Department of Tax Administration - Fairfax County, Virginia I think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">