• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question on estate planning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

julsie2

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Upon my grandfather's estate going through probate, my grandmother had a new will drawn up. This will supposedly states that her estate is to be divided evenly between her 3 children. After this will was drawn up and signed, she then did a quit claim deed switching the properties from being solely in her name so that they are now in my uncle's, grandmother's names. While the deed states a clause '...and their heirs', it does not mention my mother and aunt by name. My grandmother has told the two girls that this was done at the recommendation of her attorney as part of her estate planning. She believes that if she would end up in a nursing home, this would keep the properties from being acquired by the state if her other assests were not enough to cover expenses. She has told the girls not to be concerned, that her will 'over-rides' the quit claim deed and upon her death, the properties will be divided evenly between the three children. Is this true? Is this normal to see only 1 of the children listed on the deed?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

S

seniorjudge

julsie2 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Upon my grandfather's estate going through probate, my grandmother had a new will drawn up. This will supposedly states that her estate is to be divided evenly between her 3 children. After this will was drawn up and signed, she then did a quit claim deed switching the properties from being solely in her name so that they are now in my uncle's, grandmother's names. While the deed states a clause '...and their heirs', it does not mention my mother and aunt by name. My grandmother has told the two girls that this was done at the recommendation of her attorney as part of her estate planning. She believes that if she would end up in a nursing home, this would keep the properties from being acquired by the state if her other assests were not enough to cover expenses. She has told the girls not to be concerned, that her will 'over-rides' the quit claim deed and upon her death, the properties will be divided evenly between the three children. Is this true? Is this normal to see only 1 of the children listed on the deed?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
There is nothing "normal" in estate planning.

However, this is what granny wanted so that's the way it will be.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=845718#post845718

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">