• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question, my grandmother is

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

forme4343

my grandmother owns her house outright (my grandfather is deceased) she was telling me that if she went into a nursing home for more that 20 days then the nursing home would put a lean on her house and if she died and the house was sold they would collect the money then! so we were gonna get her to deed it in one of the grandkids names but a realty company said it would have to be in the grandkids name for 5 years before the grandmother went in a nursing home or else they could still put a lean on the home, is this true? and if she deeds it in my name, isnt the house mine then? thanks!

H

hannah jo

You may want to check with a Real estate Lawyer as to your state's specific laws but I assure you there is protection built into the law that prevent situations like the one your grandmother is facing - i.e., to stop the transfer of property for the sole purpose of hiding them from being used to pay for care. Otherwsie people could keep their personal assets and taxpayers dollars would be used to pay for their care - which is not fair to the rest of the population!

------------------
Please note that these comments do not constitute legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult with a local attorney, who can explore all the facts and issues of your specific situation and then advise you of any legal rights and remedies you may have under the current laws of your jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">