• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Augmom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL

In brief my mother has an elderly uncle who just died. She went to visit per his request a few days prior to his death. Day before his death she was informed by his friend/lawyer that the lawyer is inheriting all his money,etc. She was a little surprised. He went on to tell her he felt bad and will be giving her a small amount (he is taking some 800k according to him). Our concern is that our uncle was with his common law wife for 35 years,she was a wealthy woman who passed away about 18mo ago. This friend/lawyer was her estate lawyer so fully aware that our uncle supposedly inherited his common law wifes money. We were under impression from the uncle it was in fact several million dollars as well as the house and contents. Admittedly we don't know day in and out of this great uncles life, he was one to not keep in touch a lot w/ family,would come and go,,etc but through my mom we were aware the lawyer friend of his following his wife's death seemed to be very involved in my uncles life, as a friend to him. On top of it our uncle did have some mental instability , not sure what,but was basically a pathological liar from even a young age, concocting long stories that were untrue about many things,lies about where he was working,etc.

On his death we are told he in fact never worked,never had his own money and lived off this woman solely,which we pretty much knew,this is per the lawyer.HE then told my mom basically there is only 800k,no other stocks or money, that the 800 was from sale of the home and that he is getting it and he is also getting contents of house but after he goes thru it my mom is 'welcome to take anything else'. We have also since learned this man filed a restraiing order again my uncles elderly girlfriend for fear SHE was trying to marry him before his death and benefit from money (to me it sounds like he was looking out for #1 and not my uncle!) :confused:
My question is on behalf of my mom. She is concerned that perhaps this lawyer/friend may have possibly taken advantage to become sole inheritor of this old man's will. My grandmother,(uncles sister) is very upset as well,she spoke to him once a week and was also suprised. Of course I am open to the possibilty my uncle liked this man and wanted to give him everything.
I guess we are wondering does this sound questionable to you? We honestly would not care if none of our family were to get a dime, but we ALSO dont' want someone to benefit b/c they did something illegal or immoral and would rather see any money go to a charity than a non deserving individual. In cases like this is it worth looking at and what would next step be for us? Thanks.

JETX

Augmom said:
Our concern is that our uncle was with his common law wife for 35 years
Sorry, but your entire post has a HUGE problem...
Florida does NOT have a common law marriage law.... and without that, there is no marriage....and no spouse or inherent marital inheritance.

Until you can straighten out that 'problem'.... your entire post is suspect.

Augmom

JETX said:
Sorry, but your entire post has a HUGE problem...
Florida does NOT have a common law marriage law.... and without that, there is no marriage....and no spouse or inherent marital inheritance.

Until you can straighten out that 'problem'.... your entire post is suspect.
I am original poster. We did not realize FL had no common law marriage law,that is interesting. We were simply under the assumption that anyone together after a certain # of years is considered married..The situation is they were together a good 35+ years as partners. We were told (by uncle)that he inherited everything and we are aware that his ladyfriend did in fact have a will in place b/c the friend of his (lawyer in question) was in fact her attorney and drew up her will,this is per the uncle and I believe this attorney had told my mom he was the woman's lawyer.. I belive he had been her attorney for a number of years. Not sure if that helps clarify.thanks

JETX

Augmom said:
Not sure if that helps clarify.thanks
Not really.
1) They were simply 'shacking up'.... and not married. As such, there is no 'inheritance'.
2) Your post provides NO information on whether any probate was opened, wills filed, or intestate distributions.

Get an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">