• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about my Sisters' Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

packles

What is the name of your state? My state is, Indiana
My sister died in January 2005. My sister lived in New Jersey. She owned a home and had some money saved, etc. I did happen to see a form that I believed to be a living will. (It was conveniently left out for me to see by my brother, by the way, he handled everything) My name was mentioned in one section of this form either as an executor or as an administrator, I'm not definitely sure. But, my questions are: If my name was mentioned, shouldn't I have been contacted by someone by now. I want to make it clear, I'm not looking to receive anything, I just want to know what happened to her home, assets, etc? My brother has never mentioned anything since her death. I live in another state.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

I did happen to see a form that I believed to be a living will.
You have the terminology wrong. It's either a "will" or a "living trust". A living will is another name for an advance health directive and talks about how the still living but incapacitated individual would be treated. A will has an executor. You will need to go to probate court to get the person named in the will (or other) person so designated.

A living trust has a trustee, who automatically has control over the trust assets subject to the trust.

If my name was mentioned, shouldn't I have been contacted by someone by now. I want to make it clear, I'm not looking to receive anything, I just want to know what happened to her home, assets, etc? My brother has never mentioned anything since her death. I live in another state.
Most likely because nobody started the probate proceedings (or that you really weren't named in the last will). It's not automatic. You and/or your brother will have to take positive steps (contacting a probate attorney is the first step).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">