• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about a trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Petra75

Hello,

My name Is Petra and I am from the Netherlands, Europe.
My best friend for 14 years lived in California and sadly passed away 2,5 years ago. The beautiful thing about our friendship is that we never met in real life. We met one day online and since that day we talked for hours each day on the phone, online and in emails. In these 14 years we became the best of friends and I can truly say I lost my soul mate. In the months before he passed away (he was very sick, so he knew he didn't have much more time) he told me he went to see a lawyer and created a trust for his possessions. He also told me I was one of the beneficiaries. One of his old friends would be the one taking care of the trust after his death. I remember my friend wanting all my correct contact information so he could pass this on to the lawyer.
After his death his old friend contacted me and told me he passed away. He also told me that the trust would now be executed. In emails in the months following he told me: Quote:

"I know it was his wish that you get the money fast but due to the laws in the state, distributions are held up until the trust can post notices so people with claims can come forward. Like any bills we don't know about. But the insurance will be different since it named you as the beneficiary."

"The lawyer can't see me till Wednesday. He did say he had another month to wait for the response of any possible action against the trust but did say he had information about Bob's final status and would let me know on Wednesday. I will keep you informed on anything I hear."

"Do you remember when Bob went to Arizona? Did he tell you what his plans were and what he might of done when there? I knew he had gone but only was told about a ticket he got. The lawyer is sending me there because he can't get away and it seems there might be something he did when there. I am supposed to go talk with some people and bring back documents. But I have no clue what this was about and hoped you did."

"The lawyer is fighting someone in Arizona over Bob's signing of something. When he sent out notifications and request against him, he got a few responses. I only know of the Arizona thing and not much about it other then he did sign some papers. I would imagine he will contact you as soon as things get settled. I know he doesn't contact me at all. He said this was outside my bounds so I had to wait till the legal stuff was done. Maybe I will try to call him this week."

"I started this email to you on April 25 but didn't finish it and then all hell broke loose. Sorry for that. I do not know of all the details but everything is tied up with the legal action. I even had to pay the time share fee from my own pocket since the estate can't do anything now. I felt it was my job to keep that solvent for you. When I hear more I will let you know more."

End quotes

Well it's now 2,5 years later and I am starting to wonder what’s going on.

I am not familiar with American law, so I have the following questions:

1. is a trust registered somewhere? Is there a way for me to look up if there is a trust and if I am really one of the beneficiaries?
2. Is there a way for me to find the notices his lawyer posted?
3. I would like to call the lawyer myself and ask some questions. Is there a way for me to find this lawyer.

The information I have is:
- Name of the lawyer
- Name of my friend, birth date and date he passed away

I hope someone can help me with this.

Thank you for your help!

Best wishes Petra

curb1

1) Do you know what city this attorney is in?

2) You need to find out the name of the insurance company. If you are the beneficiary, the proceeds would pass directly to you regardless of a will, or trust. You need to call them.

justalayman

did you happen to leave out a request for you to send money to this friend? If you haven't gotten one yet, I kind of suspect you will shortly. There are some issues with what is being described to you the tend to suggest somebody isn't being truthful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">