• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

quick claim deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

POL

Ohio

A year ago my mother had a quick claim deed drawn up for her home to protect it from having to go to a nursing home , if the situation would arise. She has it in my name with herself having a life time estate. If my husband and I divorce, would he be entitled to any of it? Are inheritances protected at all? Thank you!

ALawyer

If the deed has not been filed, it may not be effective.

If it has been, your husband would argue that you have assets and thus his obligations to you should be lessened as that should be factored in. In divorce while all property is not split 50-50 -- even in community property states -- particularly inheritances and gifts, but only if the property is truly maintained separately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">