• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Claim Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

backspace

I have power of attorney for my grandmother. She currently has no will and is in advancing stages of Alzheimer's/Dementia. She has property in Fla. which I would like to Quit Claim deed into my name; if something should happen to her I am afraid with no will it will go into probateand lost. She currently lives in Ohio with my mom; I am active duty military stationed/living in VA. In about a month or so they will both be moving in with me. Can I do the quit claim deed and if so which is the best way and in what state does it have to be done? Also with having POA and quit claiming the property, would that be considered a conflict of interest?
In advance thank you for your time/advice.:confused:

ALawyer

If the power of attorney is current and a "durable" one, it continues even if she now is apparently mentally incompetent, and you can act for her.

Quit claiming it to your name is a conflict of interest. And you would NOT inheirt in the event of her death -- her kids would, equally. Deeding it to your mother and her siblings (and children of any deceased siblings) would not be a conflict. Or if all the others agree, deed it to one person with the understanding it is to be held in trust for her heirs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">