• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re: Withdrawal rights and life insurance trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JudithE

Re: Withdrawal rights and life insurance trust

I was the beneficiary of an irrevocable life insurance trust but after several months, signed an amended trust dissolving my status as beneficiary.

My question: when the first policy payment was made, I was the beneficiary and it is my understanding that I should have received a letter notifying me of my withdrawal rights. Am I correct?

Yes, but I don't think that affects your rights. It is to make sure the government accepts the money as a gift outside of the grantor's control.

JudithE

I’m still wondering if I have the right to withdraw the money gifted to the trust when I was still beneficiary?

When you signed the amended trust:
I was the beneficiary of an irrevocable life insurance trust but after several months, signed an amended trust dissolving my status as beneficiary.
You gave up your rights.

JudithE

Okay. Do I have any legal recourse to reclaim my status as beneficiary?

Last edited:
From my understanding of what you wrote, no. But, you're getting to a very fact-sensitive area and it might be better to see an attorney. Even then, your damages probably won't be great enough to make it worth an attorney's worthwhile.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">