• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reading my dad's trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ljw6227

What is the name of your state (missouri)

My dad passed in 1999 and my stepmother is the trustee of his trust. I am listed in the trust but have never had reason to asked to review it up until now. She got involved with another man and has moved to Florida. We are not on speaking terms. I want to review the trust. How do I go about this. She is over 70 now also and would like to get things reviewed before her passing too.

curb1

Politely ask her for a copy of the trust. It is in your best interest to swallow hard feelings and open up communication.

tranquility

You may not have any rights to review the trust if it was a standard living trust that did not have to be split up into an AB type trust arraingement on Dad's death.

ljw6227

Re;

I have tried talking to her after he passed. We had great communcation then after a week after dad's passing she just wouldn't answer any phone calls from me or my brother for some strange reason. It was like night and day. There is a lot of money envolved, and more relatives listed in dad's trust than just myself and we are all concerned as this new boyfriend has a seedy reputation as a con artist with older woman and taking them for everything they have. A friend of mine who is an attorney did tell me if I am listed then I have every right to review the terms of the trust. My dad was a great man and would want us kids to have what he has provided for us.

seniorjudge

A friend of mine who is an attorney did tell me if I am listed then I have every right to review the terms of the trust.

Then hire thi$ per$on to inve$tigate thi$ problem.

Dandy Don

You or your attorney friend needs to be talking to a Missouri trust attorney to find out what Missouri state law says about this. Some laws permit a beneficiary (or his attorney) to send the trustee a certified letter requesting a copy of the trust and an accounting statement for each year the trust has been in existence--some states do NOT allow this.

Have you asked the other relatives who think they are or have been mentioned in the trust whether they received anything?

Have you checked at the county courthouse probate court to see if he had a last will and testament that was probated? If a probate file is there, look at it to see how the estate was handled and who was executor. There may be no probate file if he put all of his assets into the trust.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

tranquility

Some laws permit a beneficiary (or his attorney) to send the trustee a certified letter requesting a copy of the trust and an accounting statement for each year the trust has been in existence--some states do NOT allow this.
What makes you think the OP is a beneficiary? Even in the states with the rule mentioned, it does not apply to contingent beneficiaries.

ljw6227

re:Dandy Dan

You or your attorney friend needs to be talking to a Missouri trust attorney to find out what Missouri state law says about this. Some laws permit a beneficiary (or his attorney) to send the trustee a certified letter requesting a copy of the trust and an accounting statement for each year the trust has been in existence--some states do NOT allow this.

Have you asked the other relatives who think they are or have been mentioned in the trust whether they received anything?

Have you checked at the county courthouse probate court to see if he had a last will and testament that was probated? If a probate file is there, look at it to see how the estate was handled and who was executor. There may be no probate file if he put all of his assets into the trust.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])
That is what his firm specializes in. I just feel like he gets tired of free legal advice so I don't really discuss or ask to many questions. We already checked probate and nothing there. We are just wanting dad's wishes to be followed out. When he did this trust he put alot of time and effort into planning out for us kiids, almost to the point where he was worried sick when he was making it. To my knowledge no one has recieved anything from the trustee

Dandy Don

This is the main question you need to be asking him to find out information, and pay him if you have to. It is the only way you are going to find out if you have anything in the trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">