• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receipt on Distribution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

N00dles156

What is the name of your state? GA
Deceased's state is IL

My grandmother's estate is being distributed and I have received a Receipt on Distribution letter. I have been told that this document is required to be signed by all heirs and returned to the lawyer before distribution can occur. The problem is this document appears to be stating that I have received my inheritance, which I have not.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

N00dles156 said:
What is the name of your state? GA
Deceased's state is IL

My grandmother's estate is being distributed and I have received a Receipt on Distribution letter. I have been told that this document is required to be signed by all heirs and returned to the lawyer before distribution can occur. The problem is this document appears to be stating that I have received my inheritance, which I have not.

My response:

Sign the document. It's going to an attorney. No one is going to come to your home with the actual inheritance, put it in your right hand, while you hand the "receipt" to the attorney with your left hand.

The only way such an exchange is going to happen is if you go to the attorney's office. Many heirs, who receive their inheritances, have a habit of not signing the receipt. Therefore, the method you describe is utilized.

So, unless you sign the receipt, and send it back, then the attorney is going to maintain whatever property you're supposed to inherit until you do - - or unless you make a personal appearance in his office to make an in-person, hands-on, exchange.

IAAL

N

N00dles156

Thank you for advise. I was only worried because the executor of the will knows the lawyer personally and is not the most honest of people. In that light I was worried that everyone would sign a document stating they had recieved thier inheritance. Then the executor writes one big check to himself. I am not so worried that I do not recieve the inheritance as I am to signing a document that is not yet true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">