• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recieved 38,000 from father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scott100678

What is the name of your state? TN

My father just sold his house in Alabama. He split the money with my siblings and I received $38,000.

What should I do to avoid any gift or inheritance taxes?

Would it be better to place the money into joint account w/ rights of survivorship with my father?

Any advice will be appreciated

anteater

What should I do to avoid any gift or inheritance taxes?
Your father has not passed away. Therfore it is not an inheritance. As the receiver of the gift, you have no tax-related consequences or reporting obligations. Your father can gift $12,000 annually to as many individuals as he likes with no IRS reporting requirements. Above that amount to any one individual in any one year, he does have to file a gift tax return with the IRS. However, each taxpayer has a $1M lifetime exclusion for reportable gifts. You can search for "gift tax" on this forum to find more info. Or take a look at Form 709 and Instructions at the IRS site:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f709.pdf

Would it be better to place the money into joint account w/ rights of survivorship with my father?
I don't see any particular advantage to that. If he wants you to have the money now, take it.

Some Random Guy

Your father gave you the money - so HE would be responsible for paying gift taxes. He is not dead, so nobody needs to pay inheritance taxes.

Any gifts over $12,000 per year are subject to gift tax. However, there are exclusions for education and a lifetime exclusion of $1,000,000 which could eliminate that tax.

Read the IRS publication on the subject http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p950.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">