• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

release of liability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pudge

What is the name of your state? Colorado I received a check and a full release of liability from my mothers estate. It says it must be signed and returned to the estate prior to cashing the check. There are still some unanswered questions and a few things that still have not been distrubuted to the heirs like family photo's and copies of family papers. The check amount is about what I expected but I do not want to sign a release of liability until everything is distrubuited. What can the estate do if I deposit the check and refuse to sign the release of liability?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pudge said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado I received a check and a full release of liability from my mothers estate. It says it must be signed and returned to the estate prior to cashing the check. There are still some unanswered questions and a few things that still have not been distrubuted to the heirs like family photo's and copies of family papers. The check amount is about what I expected but I do not want to sign a release of liability until everything is distrubuited. What can the estate do if I deposit the check and refuse to sign the release of liability?

My response:

The executor can place a "stop payment" on the check. Are you sure it's a "check" and not a "draft"?

IAAL

lwpat

You should have also received a full accounting of the estate listing all of the assets and liabilities. I would not sign the release until you have seen all of the paperwork. My suggestion would be to schedule a meeting with the executor in order to answer all of your questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">