• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

release as poa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jnkbell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

My wife and I are in the process of gaining access to her parents finances as both have been recently relocated into assisted living, both being currently incapacitated to the point that they can't handle their affairs.

We're not getting any funds, just the access to information and ability to discuss matters with the different institutions.

The bank with her mom's IRA requests a form that her dad needs to sign, releasing him as POA, and assigning my wife as POA.

Does anyone know what that form might be called and where we might obtain one.

Thanks

FlyingRon

Since you mentioned Power Of Attorney, this site (via google) is sticking links to where you can obtain those forms. There's also a generic legal form site on the main page.

tranquility

Even though they are, by law, required to follow any valid POA, I suggest you ask the bank if they want it on a certain form. It is astonishing how much hassle such things can be and it is far easier to jump though their hoops than demand they follow the law.

TrustUser

that's for sure.

many institutions dont like poas. they want you to sign one of their own forms.

there are 2 main functions of a living trust. 1) instructions on how to manage finances when you die (everyone knows this). 2) how to manage finances when you become incapacitated (few people realize this).

nextwife

If they are not competent, they may be unable to consent to a POA. A POA if acting under mental incapacity can be questioned later as to validity.

Wife may find she is better off (again, this is if they might be deemed as incompetent) if she is appointed guardian over their financial affairs by the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">