• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Remarried

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

larryrun

I have a will prepared 13 years ago naming my then-wife beneficiary. Can I simply cross her name off the will each time it appears and replace it with my current wife's name, then initial and date each occurence? I live in North Dakota. Thanks!

ALawyer

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will need a NEW WILL made in accordance with your state's law with new witnesses.

A

advisor10

Take

12-12-2000

It is vitally important that you have a new will drawn up. Please do not use one of those do-it-yourself will kits.

Sometimes people are reluctant to have a new will drawn up because of the expense, but it is worth the $200-$300 it will take to protect your current wife's interests--isn't it worth at least that much? If you were only to do the intialing, that would create complications about the authenticity of the signature and whether or not that was your real intention. The best way to avoid any problems is to have a completely new will drawn up!

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">