• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removed From a Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bridgewater

My grandpa set up a trust for myself and my seven cousins in Washington state that consisted of his farm and other assets worth about $400,000. He did this when he was in sound mind, but today he has Alzheimer's.

My grandma then called last year and wanted to send me and my other cousins paper work to sign to dissolve the trust so she could give whole thing to my aunt. As it turns out we never got the paperwork and it appears the property has been sold. However, we would have never signed it if received.

When asked about it my grandma said the attorney found another way to get the job done without our signatures. My guess is they forged them all.

My question is could they have got this done without our signatures and if not how can I look into this?

xylene

You appear to have been the victim of a serious financial crime. I suggest you hire a lawyer and ask them if you should involve the police as well.

curb1

Bridgewater, you said, " today he has Alzheimer's". What was his health situation a year ago when you were asked to sign documents? This could easily have represented your grandfather's wishes if he hadn't been formally diagnosed at that time.

xylene

As well as impacting you, your grandfather is still living, this act could constitute and be part of larger financial elder abuse.

FlyingRon

Just because he has an Alheimer's diagnosis doesn't mean he was not of a sound mind at the time he approved the dissolution of the trust.

Note, I'd check to see if the assets ever were in the trust. Just because a trust is created means nothing. It is not a will. It only controls assets that were transferred to the trust ownership. You don't have to
"dissolve" a revocable trust, just remove the assets from it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">