• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repossess car after death even though payments are on time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ozymandias

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? GA

Because of my credit problems my mom was willing to obtain financing for a vehicle that I make payments on. This loan is solely in her name. She has since died - we received the death certificate about three weeks ago. She had no will. Probate is coming up and life insurance is being processed. I will likely pay off the car completely with my share of the insurance proceeds when they arrive, however the finance company has been calling stating that if I don't arrange my own financing for the vehicle in the next week they will reposess it.

Can this possibly be right? The payments are not behind and have never been late. I would assume that the car is her property and will be disposed of through the probate process along with everything else. Can they take this vehicle before probate even though I've never missed a payment?

Some Random Guy

Rent a storage unit for a month and lock the car inside it. Ride the bus to work. They can't repossess what they can't find. Then pay off the loan.

Dandy Don

They want reassurance that they will be getting their money in the future. So, DON'T tell them that you will be receiving an inheritance, since they might try to gouge more money out of you at a higher price. DO renegotiate--the old loan is no good anymore since it is in your mother's name--you must get a loan with YOUR name on it, and if you have a job with reasonable income you should have no problem getting the newer loan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">