• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Residential Trust (GRIT)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

riosan

My mother put her house in a residential trust nine years ago and it just expired recently. Her lawyer is preparing papers for my siblings and me to sign and then it will be ours as tenants in common. The problem is, four of us are doing all right and one of us is on SSI due to her mental problems. Since she is currently living at the property, she will now have to pay rent, as will my parents, to us. We want to form a limited liability partnership to protect ourselves in case she gets in financial or legal trouble, but she's intimating that she won't sign anything we "cook up" (no trust there). Any ideas on how we can present the idea of a partnership or any other ways to protect our real estate from her trying to sell her share to an outsider? Also, where can I get advice on how this property transfer will stand her with SSI? This is happening in Calif.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">