• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rev Living Trust or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbent

What is the name of your state? California

My father currently has just a basic will with me as the only beneficiary. In discussing changing over to a revokable Living Trust the subject came up as to what would happen if he just Grant Deeded the house to me now. What issues would this cause? He still wants to make sure the remaining estate is handled correctly but the main issue is the house.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

BlondiePB

cbent said:
What is the name of your state? California

My father currently has just a basic will with me as the only beneficiary. In discussing changing over to a revokable Living Trust the subject came up as to what would happen if he just Grant Deeded the house to me now. What issues would this cause? He still wants to make sure the remaining estate is handled correctly but the main issue is the house.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
As long as your father is "mentally sound," he can leave his estate to whomever he wants. You did not state whether dad is married or not and that is another important consideration due to CA being a community property state. Should there be other beneficiaries entitled to dad's estate and if dad is "mentally sound," he needs a good estate attorney to ensure that estate papers are done properly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">