• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revocable Living Trust - Attorney fees after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curb1

What is the name of your state? CA

Attorney draws up revocable living trust. What can be the possible attorney fees after death? Wouldn't a properly drawn trust spell out the instructions to the trustee for distribution of assets without additional attorney costs? Is it normal procedure for an attorney to attempt to get the 3-5% fees awarded in some states if they are not listed as a trustee? I have run across these questions from several in our family with "Living Trusts". Naturally, I understand that each estate is different. But, for relatively very simple estates, how much could be possible for additional attorney fees after death?

Dandy Don

Please explain--are you saying that you have received a bill for attorney fees for a trust that you asked him to draft or that a deceased relative asked him to draft? What is the bill and what is the trust worth?

This is most unusual--are you a beneficiary of the trust? You should be telling that attorney that the under normal circumstances the decedent should have already paid for that service while he/she was still alive and you should refuse to pay it.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? CA

Attorney draws up revocable living trust. What can be the possible attorney fees after death? Wouldn't a properly drawn trust spell out the instructions to the trustee for distribution of assets without additional attorney costs? Is it normal procedure for an attorney to attempt to get the 3-5% fees awarded in some states if they are not listed as a trustee? I have run across these questions from several in our family with "Living Trusts". Naturally, I understand that each estate is different. But, for relatively very simple estates, how much could be possible for additional attorney fees after death?
You are very confused.

A revocable living trust has nothing to do with an estate.

In any event, what is the exact language you are asking about? There is a whole lot of stuff trustees (and lawyers) need to do on a living trust after the death of a settlor.

But we need exact language and more specifics.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">