• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revocable living trust question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Al Newman

What is the name of your state? California.
In the case of a revocable living trust in California, how long may the successor trustee delay reporting the death of the grantor to the beneficiary/beneficiaries? (I ask this as a possible beneficiary who has not been notified of my brother's November 7, 2006, death. I was at one time a beneficiary and have never been advised that I have been eliminated as a beneficiary.)

seniorjudge

Q: In the case of a revocable living trust in California, how long may the successor trustee delay reporting the death of the grantor to the beneficiary/beneficiaries?

A: What does the written instrument say?

However, you already know about the death: ""...(I ask this as a possible beneficiary who has not been notified of my brother's November 7, 2006, death. I was at one time a beneficiary and have never been advised that I have been eliminated as a beneficiary.)...."

That means your question is moot.

Dandy Don

The successor trustee has no legal obligation to notify you about the decedent's death. How DID you eventually find out about the death?

It is assumed that regular family contact or other family members are equally capable of notifying you about such matters.

What you should be more concerned about is does the trustee have your name and address and telephone number so he/she will know where to mail your check? And if you do not already have a copy of the trust you have the legal right to request a copy of it by sending the trustee a certified letter asking for it, but if the trustee has already been in contact with you, just give them another month or 2 to manage the trust affairs.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">