• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revocable Trust; beneficiary was SSI recipient, need info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jennybaker

my father is planning to create a revocable trust
for his and my mother's marital assets. my sister
and i will be the beneficiaries/trustees. i have
been dealing with a long term illness for many years. i have been a recipient of state of wi
ssi, u.s. treasury supplemental sec., and medicaid for 8 years. i believe that this year i will be well enough to go off of these forms of support once and for all. my father is concerned about what would happen in 25 or so years, after he and my mother are dead. i believe that upon recieving an inheritance via revocable trust, i would owe a great deal of money to the federal and state governments because of being a previous ssi, suppl. sec, and medicaid recipient. is that true?
i am from the state of wisconsin.
i would be very thankful to anyone who could give me an accurate answer to this inquiry.

dmode101

Did your parents tell the attorney that drafted the trust about your circumstances? Your share might be best held in a special kind of trust called a "special needs trust" to avoid disqualification from govt benefits and payback. Have your parents advise the attorney and determine the best solution. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">