• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revoked gift?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

netscore

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My mother-in-law gave my husband a family heirloom over 14 years ago. The item is an antique with a value of roughly $1000. At that time his mother was in good health and verbally stated that she wanted my husband to have the heirloom. His mother is now dying of cancer and is often in a confused state of mind. Just recently my sister-in-law presented my husband with a typed letter stating that his monther had decided to give the heirloom to her. The said the letter was a codicil to the will and was written in 1996 (after the heirloom was given to my husband). I did not see the letter and cannot say if it was notarized or dated. Is this legal? Can she now take possession of the heirloom?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">