• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right to trust information as a beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curthon

What is the name of your state? California

How do I determine my right to information on a trust as a beneficiary? I am fairly certain a long time friend intended to transfer real property to me upon her death. The executor is the deceased womans' neice and resides in North Carolina. The real property is located in a safe deposit box here, in southern California. My friend just passed last Sat. and the neice is here to "clean everything up". She has sole access to the deceased' property and any and all documentation. When asked for information on the Attorney who set up the trust she refused, citing privacy issues. It is my belief and concern that the neice is going to return to North Carolina (she's leaving this Fri) with everything. What can I do, if anything, to make her accountable?

Dandy Don

What is the real property and what is its value?

Did your long time friend happen to mention who the trustee of the trust was going to be?

Dandy Don

Your timing was a bit too premature, although you have a right to the information. Give this executor/trustee time to find out what is actually in the estate, in addition to the fact that she is grieving. If she knows your address and phone number, she will be contacting you within the next 30-60 days to inform you of what you will be receiving from the safety deposit box. It will take time for her or whoever to file papers to become executor and actually get access to the box.

If you haven't heard anything within the next 60 days, check with the county courthouse to see if anything has been filed, and if not, then send HER a certified letter requesting information about the will and/or trust.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">