• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to view trust?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hard

I am one of several beneficiaries of a large trust that has a large number of co-trustees.

Do I have a right to view the original documentation of the trust to better understand its workings? Namely, how do I know if the trust is being handled in the way it was intended?

Essentially, one trustee has taken control of all assets and may be using them inappropriately, and I would like to protect my rights.

Last edited:

A

advisor10

SEPT. 6, 2001

DEAR HARD:

You forgot to mention what state you live in. Please post this information as soon as you are able to.

You should also consider posting your question on the www.lawguru.com website where it is more likely that an attorney from your specific state would see your question and respond.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

A

advisor10

SEP. 6, 2001

I happened to see that you live in Massachusetts.

Trusts are designed to provide confidentiality for the owner who puts the assets in the trust. You may not be able to get access to the original trust documentation, but you really do need to consult with a local attorney to find out what your options are.

If the trust is being held at a bank, you may want to pay for having an accounting firm audit the trust, or that may already be being done on an annual basis.

Please post your question at www.lawguru.com to get a more accurate response from a Massachusetts probate attorney.

Also, please visit your local library to check out 1-2 books about trusts to you can be better informed about what they do and how they are handled--you'll be very surprised at what you might learn!

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">