• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights of beneficiaries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mash1

My children were named as beneficiaries in their grandmother's will (my ex husband's mother). She passed away in mid august 2001 and the appointed executor (their uncle) hasn't done anything to begin the process of liquidating/distributing assets. The money was set aside to aid them in paying for college - time is running short and I was wondering if at some point an executor can be "fired" for not doing his duties. Should my daughters hire an attorney ?

dmode101

Yes, an executor *can* be removed for not performing his duties. Often it does take over a year to settle the estate though so the delay may be reasonable depending on the situation. If you are concerned about the executor, then you should hire an attorney to make sure your daughters' interests are protected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">