• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of living heir

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gsrogers7

In 1997, my father died. He and my stepmother lived in Tampa, FL. My father left the home to me (no will) and my stepmother claimed all of the personal property. THis is fine with me as I have no relationship with her. Ten months after his death, she tried to get me to quit-claim the house to her. I did not. Now she has let the homeowner insurance lapse, refuses to pay further property taxes, and will not maintain the physical condition of the house. I understand that in FL she has some type of living right to stay in the house until her death. I have no desire to get any money from her but I do not want to just give her the house. I live in Az. Do I have any rights to force her to pay the property taxes, maintain insurance, and maintain the condition of the house?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">