• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights to surviorship on an automobile?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Oldsman67330

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Nebraska

My Father in law passed away and named me P.R. for his estate He had a few classic cars, 2 of them had been signed over a couple of years ago, the third was still titled in his name with my sister-in-law's name on the title with rights to survivorship. According to his will, my wife is to inherit 1/2 of the car and her sister the other half, they made an agreement that her sister would take his camper instead of her 1/2 of the car and then my wife could have the car. We would like to be able to title it so it can be licensed and insured to drive to shows and that. Can the car go to her and be taken out of the estate or is it still property of the estate?

justalayman

the car became sole property of sister in law at the time of father in law's death. She can do whatever she wants with her car. It is not part of the estate, never was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">