• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Safe Deposit Box

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ANGELCHILD

1.In Alabama a bank safe deposit box was established in my name and the name of my mother while I was in the military.
2. After my retirement and my mother's death I dscovered that the account had been changed into the name of my mother and someone who is not related to me.
Questions:

a. Was the account covered by the Serviceman's Contract Act?
b. Are there conversion laws that handle these cases?

A

advisor10

12-21-2001

DEAR ANGELCHILD:

You have left a few important questions unanswered:

(1) Did you or your mother ever give permission for the safe deposit box to be opened, or was it done without your or her knowledge?

(2) Who used the box and was anything of value ever put in the box?

(3) Who is the "someone who is not related to me"?

Most general lawyers may not be familiar with the Serviceman's Contract Act--you may need to consult with a military lawyer about this.

Whether it does or does not apply, you need to speak specifically with a BUSINESS LAW LAWYER (and post your question on the Business Law Section of the freeadvice.com message board) about your situation. You will need to find out whether or not it is illegal or fradulent for someone to use your name falsely in this type of business transaction (if you had no access to the box, then it probably is fraudulent).

Do you want to take action to correct the situation or leave it like it is? If you can't afford an attorney, you should at least discuss the situation with a management official at the bank and they should be able to clear up any questions you have--they should at least be aware of the fact the something dishonest seems to be going on with that box, and they may be able to take action to correct the situation.

SINCERELY,

advisor

A

ANGELCHILD

Advisor Response

1. I am posting this under Business Law.
2. The person unrelated to me was previously married to my adoptive mother's nephew (i.e. she had no legal relationship to my mother or me).
3. There were bearer stocks, legal documents, insurance policy papers and rare coins in the box.
4. I will consult a military lawyer.

A

advisor10

12-27-2001

Thank you for further clarifying your situation.

An inexpensive way to get an answer to your situation (if you can't afford to consult an attorney) would be to visit the office of another bank in your city (NOT the one where the safe deposit box was held) that has a safe deposit department and to talk with the customer service rep. or bank management official there--perhaps they would be willing to explain the legalities of your difficulty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">