• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sale of inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dsampsel

What is the name of your state?OHIO
I inherited one third of my grandmothers estate when she passed on. Part of that estate is a house. My family and I have decided to sell the house. My husband mentioned that he had heard of the situation where money given to a spouse is not taxable. We are using my share of the sale proceeds to finish our new house, so I am wondering, if I "give" my share of the proceeds to my husband, he uses it to finish our house, do I have to pay taxes on the proceeds? Is it included in my income? And if this is possible, how do I do it?
Thanks for your assisstance.
dsampsel

BelizeBreeze

Once you sell the house you have 'converted' the asset. Just take the money and invest in the home. You won't win anything by playing games with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">