• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

second mess

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vesta hill

You might recognize my name Hi this is Vesta
a light came on when browzing thru. The lawyer I had also
prepared my will and I ammended it and my friend and I had it notarized. ( she sign and witness it) I did what you said not to do. I changed the will. added what I called a rider to it explaining what I wanted in my will. Is this legal and binding. If not I need to straighten this out as well. Thank you.

dmode101

It is definitely not valid unless it was properly witnessed by TWO persons. An amendment to a Will is called a "Codicil" and must be done very carefully. That aside, "explaining what you wanted" sounds like a very risky strategy. You either need a brand new Will or a properly drafted and executed Codicil.

I'm an estate planning attorney in Palatine (northwest Chicago burb). Feel free to contact me if you would like assistance with this. E-mail and phone info are at my website at http://www.illinoisestateplan.com

Regards,
Jeff

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">