• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

selling dad's house...help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jo0722

i live in massachusetts, and many years ago, my brother began some work on my parents home (work he had been told not to do) he did this work anyway, but ran out of money midstream. at that point, my parents decided to put him on the deed so he could obtain the lower interest "home equity" loan. they also decided that in lieu of payment for his work, they would will him 2/3 of the house. during that time period, i became an RN, and actively nursed my parents for 10 years, until their deaths. the house is now selling, and per the will, i will receive 1/3 of the proceeds. the home equity loan of $40,000 is still outstanding, and i need to know if i am obligated to pay 1/2 of this debt, or 1/3 in accordance with my share. i respect my parents' decision to try to compensate my brother, knowing that they had no way of knowing that i would also give of myself....and i'd be a hypocrite if i said it didn't hurt...but as his wife is an attorney and they're rolling in dough...lol...and i'm disabled and have just recently lost my home...i could sure use the extra money if it was only 1/3! please help!!!!

Last edited:

ALawyer

Absent something to the contrary in the Will, you'd get 1/3rd the net sales price of the house less the mortgage.

J

jo0722

thank you for your help :) needless to say, the greedy side of me wanted you to say that i only owed 1/3 of the debt on the house....lol...but now i'll accept what i get and try to be grateful! lol

....and, for anyone else reading, please don't do this to your children. barring any legitimate reasons, it is very painful for the one "slighted", and the unspoken message is "they loved him/her more". *shrug* even though i know differently, the journey from the head to the heart is the longest journey in the world!

thanks again, alawyer! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">