• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling Home

• Thread starter LynetteMattison
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LynetteMattison

Dealing with issues for first time in our family. My grandfather just died. My grandmother is in a nursing home, and on Medicaid. As we understand it, she will now come off Medicaid until all of the funds that my grandfather had are depleted. She is close to being mentally incapacited but did sign a durable power of attorney so we can handle her affairs. Question: How do we go about selling their home? Can it be sold with the use of the durable power of attorney? And, then do all the proceeds go to the state? Prior to my grandfather passing away due to ill health, he had my grandmother's name taken off the checking account and my father put on so he could help him pay bills, and he is now paying the expenses for the funeral from this account. This money is really now my grandmother's money and will be used to pay her expenses. What is the best way to handle this checking account?

A

Audrey5253

It is still not to late to protect some of the assets. In answer to your question, yes the power of attorney could be used to sell the property. However, if the power of attorney does not have specific gifting language in it the sale should be to a third party and not the agent qualified to act. If your grandmother is a NYS resident, please call our office at 1-800-777-7581 for more information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">