• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

selling house in trust at a loss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jks808

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

My sister passed away in 2009 leaving her house in her living trust. Her estate at that time didn't have enough assets to pay estate taxes, so we never created a federal tax id for the trust. We're currently selling the house at a loss for less than the appraised value at the time of her death. In fact, when it sells, it probably won't be enough to cover the principal balance by a few thousand dollars.

My question is, do we need to create a fed tax id for the trust in order to sell the house (I didn't think so since we're selling at a lower price than it was appraised for at the time of her death).

jks808

Correction to my state.

Oh, I'm sorry. I live in Hawaii, but the house is in California. The trust was created in California. Thank you, and sorry for the confusion.

tranquility

The beneficiaries may want to get the loss passed through in the final year return. They won't be able to unless the fiduciary files a return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">