• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

setting up a US foreign trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Morand

I am a non-US citizen and non US resident. I own assets (a stock portfolio) in the US.
I am considering setting-up a US foreign trust for the management of my US assets, and for the future (long-term) transfer of these assets to my niece and nephews.
I have not decided yet whether I will create a grantor trust, or a non-grantor trust.

I am looking for information/advice regarding :
a) in which US state I should create such foreign trust. (what are the differences between the states' trust laws ? If this makes any difference for a foreign trust..?) Is there any documentation - book, etc...- you could recommend on this ?
b) trust services firms you would recommend...(provided the rules of this forum allow this, of course...;) ?)

Thanks for your help...

Dandy Don

So are you living in a state in the US now or out of the country?

Wherever you live, find a certified estate planner to answer your questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">