• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

settle an estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

probate

I hired a lawyer to settle an estate, that has been setting idle some 15 mo. after probate. The estate lawyer is always to busy on high profile cases to close it. The lawyer I hired has been trying to get resolved and money paid to heirs, but can't get estate attorney to respond to his phone calls for the last 30 days. Do I need a better lawyer or what legal action can I take? I live in Illinois.

ALawyer

Let me see if I got this straight.

The Executor of the estate hired a lawyer who is too busy with "big" cases to deal with this relatively piddly matter. So you hired a lawyer to represent your interests -- as the matter is significant to you, at least -- to pressure the estate lawyer into moving. The lawyer you hired has been stonewalled too and can not get any action either.

You went about it the right way. But now it sounds like time to send a firm but reasonable letter to the original lawyer, with a copy the local and state bar disciplinary authorities. Neglect of client matters is grounds for discipline by the bar. And if the high profile guy is too busy, he should have someone else complete the matter for him or her.

A

advisor10

01-10-2001

Immediately make a complaint to the county bar association (which you should be able to find a listing for in the yellow pages, or if you can't find it, any attorney should be able to tell you how to reach tme.). They may be able to negotiate with him in getting another attorney assigned to your case if that would be agreeable to you.

Instead of having the other attorney make phone calls for you that are unanswered, your best bet would be to ask that attorney to go visit the probate attorney's office in person (or YOU should individually do that) so at least you can get some idea of how your case is being handled. The attorney might have a reasonable excuse for why the delay is taking so long, but if so, then there is no excuse for him not answering your concerns either by phone or by mail.

At least send him a letter so he will know about your dissatisfaction and you will at least have a record that you tried to make contact with him, in case this becomes an issue later on down the road.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

P

probate

advisor said:
01-10-2001

Immediately make a complaint to the county bar association (which you should be able to find a listing for in the yellow pages, or if you can't find it, any attorney should be able to tell you how to reach tme.). They may be able to negotiate with him in getting another attorney assigned to your case if that would be agreeable to you.

Instead of having the other attorney make phone calls for you that are unanswered, your best bet would be to ask that attorney to go visit the probate attorney's office in person (or YOU should individually do that) so at least you can get some idea of how your case is being handled. The attorney might have a reasonable excuse for why the delay is taking so long, but if so, then there is no excuse for him not answering your concerns either by phone or by mail.

At least send him a letter so he will know about your dissatisfaction and you will at least have a record that you tried to make contact with him, in case this becomes an issue later on down the road.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

P

probate

delay on estate

I took your advice and faxed a letter to the estate attorney,about telling the bar. I also faxed that letter to
my attorney,no results from estate attorney, my attorney only said you can't make a attorney hurry up, but he might be able to get a court petition filed for dispursement of funds, I quess my question is the bar a threat or no big deal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">