• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settling an Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dtmsh98

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My husbands mother passed away 9 months ago leaving his aunt as first "personal representative" and his sister as second and him as third. My husband & his sister are beneficaries to the estate. The house just recently sold and the closing is taking place in September. The Aunt claims she has "NO IDEA" when she is going to "release the money" because she has to put a legal ad in the paper announcing the estate is closing. She will not tell us how long this has to run for or whatelse has to be done before she releases almost $500K to the beneficaries. My mother in-law has been gone almost a year, all her bills have been paid and all the house's bills are up to date. Is this the law that she still has to post this ad, and if so is it true there is a 6 month waiting period for this money to be released?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Dandy Don

Six months is not an unreasonably long time for an estate to be probated. It is understandable that you want to receive your money as quickly as possible, but please stop pestering the personal representative about this, as there are specific legal guidelines that she must follow about handling the estate.

Since it is highly unlikely that a New Jersey probate attorney would be reading this message board, you need to be consulting with a local probate attorney to get your specific questions/concerns answered.

lwpat

Contact the probate court and obtain a complete copy of the file. Then take all of the information to an attorney an let him explain the law. If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.

dtmsh98

dtmsh98 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My husbands mother passed away 9 months ago leaving his aunt as first "personal representative" and his sister as second and him as third. My husband & his sister are beneficaries to the estate. The house just recently sold and the closing is taking place in September. The Aunt claims she has "NO IDEA" when she is going to "release the money" because she has to put a legal ad in the paper announcing the estate is closing. She will not tell us how long this has to run for or whatelse has to be done before she releases almost $500K to the beneficaries. My mother in-law has been gone almost a year, all her bills have been paid and all the house's bills are up to date. Is this the law that she still has to post this ad, and if so is it true there is a 6 month waiting period for this money to be released?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
*********I forgot to mention, this was all in a "trust" account and it already went to Probate with the personal representative & the beneficaries has to be present also. The home was also a part of the trust. Does this make any difference as to how long it will take to disburse the funds? It's been heartache dealing with the Aunt and she has started alot of nonsense over the whole thing, so we are hoping that this will all END quickly. Thank you in advance for your reply & advice.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">