• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I sign whatever this is I'm being asked to sign? Is it beneficial to do so????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

max69692000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My Mother passed away on August 4, 2010. The exact cause of death, apparently, I will never know as my step father was the only power of attorney, and elected to keep any and all information from me and her remaining 4 sons. We were at the hospital throughout the whole ordeal yet were fed misleading information by this man for reasons unknown to all of us.

To my best knowledge, I will never be able to gain access to the information surrounding my Mother's death. However, that is not my question at this time.

My step father was looking forward to my Mother passing away, and has since moved to the state of Florida. They owned a home in Texas that he is now renting out, but apparently the man who is renting it wants to purchase the home, but my step father cannot sell it to him without me, and my three brothers, signing a document. What this document is, I have no idea.

For the most part, we have all decided to decease all correspondence with this man for obvious reasons. We do not want to make anything easy on him, as he made things very difficult for us when lying about our Mother's prognosis and ultimate death.

However, we do not want this to backfire on us if there were a tax lien or anything else of that nature to be placed on us for not signing this ambiguous document. I am not sure if there was any equity in the home, but if I had to guess, I would say that there is.

Can someone please tell me what the ramifications would be of not signing this document? Or, what the benefits of signing this document would be.

Personally, I do not want any direct contact from this man. I was considering mailing him a cease and desist in regards to two-way conversation with me. But, again, I do not want to do anything that will or may possibly cause me financial or legal harm in the future. I do consider him to be a threat and really do not want any one on one communication with him, if it can be avoided.

Obviously, I do not have the money to hire an attorney in regards to this matter, so if anyone can provide me and my siblings with free and solid advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Max

curb1

1) How could all of you have been at the hospital and did not know what was wrong with your mother?

2) Why don't you know what the document is for you to sign? I would guess that you and siblings are co-owners of the house with step-father. Check with the courthouse to see how house is titled.

max69692000

She originally went in for a brain tumor. They said it was cancerous but all contained in one little area. They said they would go in, "scoop it out like an ice cream cone", sew her up, give her one zap of radiation and she should have been fine. They did the surgery, zapped her and sent her home.

A couple of weeks later she started losing her memory, and was just not the same. Shortly thereafter, she collapsed. They re-admitted her to the the ICU on July 18, 2010. At this point the only information I received up until the August 3, 2010, the day before she passed, was from my lying stepfather. She apparently had complications from the radiation. She starting getting worse so around this day last year they did a spinal tap. My stepfather told us that the results looked good. The nurse mistakenly told me the results looked grim. She had no idea that he was hiding all of this information from us. Really, who in their right mind would? After finding out the truth, I confronted him via phone to discuss the situation. He immediately called the hospital and told them to shut their mouths. She took an extreme turn for the worse and passed the morning of August 4, 2010. What exactly from, I will never know.

To answer your question, the person with the power of attorney can instruct the medical care providers to NOT disclose that information to family members. That is how we were all at the hospital unknowing of the truth....

Thanks for the reply...

garrula lingua

Did your Mom have a will ?

If Mom died without a will, then you children own some of her property, under intestate rules.

Please see a Probate lawyer. Call your local Bar Association; often, they will arrange an interview with an attorney for a nominal amount ($20 for 1/2 hr).

If your County Bar Association doesn't have a low-priced referral service, call some Probate attorneys and see if they offer a free initial interview.

You need an attorney, quickly. Stepdad may have a right to a 'life estate' in the property, but the children may own it after he dies. Often, in situations like that, an agreement may be made with step to abandon another asset (sounds as though he may have taken $ already) in return for abandoning the life estate.
You have to see an attorney. Someone has to go over the information with you, and advise you as to your (& your siblings) rights.

Don't sign anything. See an attorney, as soon as possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">