• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should Revocable Trust own annuity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GorillaBoze

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

My wife and I just finished our trust documents. We have changed the ownership of out non-qualified brokerage accounts to our joint revocable trust. We each own a non-qualified variable annuity. Should we change the ownership of these annuities to our trust? If so, then who would be list as the annuitant and the beneficiary?

-Chad

GorillaBoze

Mainly to avoid probate and to minimize estate taxes.

I am a few years away from retirement and will have close to $1,000,000 in 401k, and total net worth will be between $2,000,000 and $2,500,000.

Should also mention that my wife has three gown children from a previous marriage. We have one grown child together.

anteater

If the annuities have named beneficiaries, then they are not probate assets. They pass according to the beneficiary designation.

A revocable trust is not going to do anything for an estate tax situation.

Dandy Don

A certified estate planning professional or a CPA with experience in estates can help you with your tax planning on this.

GorillaBoze

If the annuities have named beneficiaries, then they are not probate assets. They pass according to the beneficiary designation.

A revocable trust is not going to do anything for an estate tax situation.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but wanted to be reassured!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">