• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sibling co-deed holder of inheritance property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrizzi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Before my father died, he had my sister added to the deed of the family home along with my mother. It was his intention that she would inherit the home upon my mother's death. My mother disagrees with this and would like the property divided amongst her three children equally. Must my sister agree with this and sign over the deed to my mother for the equal division to occur?

Last edited:

justalayman

No, your sister is not required to do anything.

How is title to the property held:

tenants in common

joint tenants

if joint tenants, is "with rights of survivorship" also included

and but your father adding your sister to the deed (which is actually not a correct description. One is not added to a deed. They are added to (the) title. You use a deed to do that), how was title held between your mother and father when he added your sister? who were (was) the grantor(s) on that deed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">