• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sibling Problems with inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

saxii

New York City. My husband’s mother died 2 1/2 years ago. She owned about 8 acres of property with a house and a doublewide trailer. His sister and her family lived in the trail. When the mother died the sister wanted my husband and his brother to sign the house over to her so she could pay for the funeral and bills the mother had. The house was signed over to the sister (1 or 2 months after the mother died) and she took a mortgage out to have a very big Christmas. Anyway, the house burnt down and the sister bought a new home with the insurance money. She still owns the property and my husband and his brother want her to split it 3 ways. Did my husband sign all his rights away when he signed the house over to her? Would he be able to get anything from the inheritance because he signed the paper so fast and was still grieving for his mother and not thinking straight? HELP PLEASE ... thanks

ALawyer

It is not exactly clear what he did, but if he made a gift of the proerty to her, it is likely "no backs". Just becasue he changes his mind he can't get back what he gave away. He was mentally capable of acting, I assume.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">